Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It went well

Mom Urban got to the house around 9:30 and we left sometime around 10 for the cancer center. We got there around 10:20 and didn't get into the oncology area until 11:30. Pre-meds Decadron and Aloxi were started at noon and I started the Avastin around 12:30. Oxaliplatin and Leucovorin were started at 2 p.m. and I got the 5-FU pump in fanny pack at 4 and we were out the door by 4:15. Go back on Thursday at 2 p.m. to get disconnected then I am unhooked and free from chemo for an entire week. Next chemo treatment is August 18. I see Dr. Viverette at 9 a.m.

My oncology nurse called in scrips for Zofran and Ativan. We picked them up from the pharmacy and also picked up some groceries. Got home around 5:15. I took a Zofran and laid down.

Phil got home from work around 6:30 and Mom fed him dinner. He had reheated meatloaf from the other night and she also fried potatoes for him and made a cucumber salad. Smelled so good but I didn't dare! She reheated mac & cheese with kielbasi chunks from the other night for me. I had a little bit. It tasted good and hit the spot. She put together the ingredients for chicken noodle soup for tomorrow and left for home. She may stay overnight tomorrow night depending on how I'm feeling.

She is going to spoil Phil if she continue to feed the dogs while she is here. LOL! He's her favorite middle son. giggle

Zofran gives me headaches. I've got a slight one. If it gets worse I'll take one of my Maxalt XT pills for migraines. They work for me within five minutes. Absolutely wonderful. I hate to pop pills but I know what works and what doesn't and I don't want to get so bad I end up in the ER getting a shot of Dilaudid to alleviate the pain from a migraine. Been there done that don't want to do it again.

I am really feeling pretty good and hope I continue to feel this good. I know all about the diarrhea from chemo so I am giving up my pride and bought a package of Depends for when things get really bad.

Last time I was on chemo I lost almost 30 pounds and expect to lose near the same. It's okay. I can stand to lose a little weight. :) The port was able to be accessed today and is working well. My oncology nurses know I'm allergic to plastic tape so I have fabric tape covering the port this time. Sink baths until after the pump comes off on Thursday. It will be great to get a shower that afternoon!

Phil is up at the pond at Foggy Mountain training Bella. He took some ducks with him to train with. She retrieves them without hurting them. She has such a gentle mouth.

That's about it. Am going to take my makeup off and get ready for bed. Will post again tomorrow. It was a good day!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Glad to hear it went well. At least you know what to expect this time! I never heard of Aloxi--is that an anti-nausea med? I always get Decadron and Zofran. I also got some Ambien because the steroid gave me many sleepless nights!
Hope you continue to feel well!
<3 Tina

Michelle said...

So glad to hear that it went well. One day down - you're on your way (isn't that what you kept telling me?) :-)

Thinking of you...