Friday, October 16, 2009

Started new chemo this week

We went into the cancer center on Tuesday morning and my nurse tells me my white blood count is lower than it was last week so she's not certain she can give me chemo! She said she would talk to Dr. V and I said please tell him this is ruining my month. I want to do the chemo and get it over with. I don't want to postpone it any further. She came back a while later and said he agreed to give me the chemo at a reduced dose of 75%.

I was doing pretty well right up until I got the Camptosar and my face got flushed and I felt hot all over. Some mild nausea but no diarrhea. Fell asleep and was woken up when the meds were finished and it was time to put the fanny pack with chemo pump on (filled with 5-FU).

I managed to last all the way home without throwing up. As soon as I got up to my room I threw up and then threw up every couple of hours throughout the night and into the next day. I couldn't eat because nothing would stay down.

At noon on Wednesday Mom Urban asked me to call the center to see if there was something they could do for me. We ended up just driving in and stayed there four hours while they gave me fluids, disconnected the chemo bag and gave me Ativan and Tagamet. My bp had gone up to 151/99 and temp 99.3. Then they sent us to the ER to get bloodwork and cultures done so off we went. We were there until 10 p.m. when my temp went down to 98.3 and the bp, too. So they sent me home.

It will be a couple of days until we hear back about the blood work and cultures. They were thinking I could possibly have an infection in my port. Who knows?

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I felt really normal. Today has not been a good day. I've been weak and tired all day with mild nausea but no throwing up and only a slight bit of diarrhea.

Ralph's 26th birthday is today. I have cards for him and Jessica but I haven't seen them to hand them out. I had to take Mom home today and that just wore me out even worse so I know I won't be going anywhere tonight. Maybe they will stop over tomorrow.

Joe stopped over yesterday by himself. It was so nice to see him. Chrystal and the kids are sick so he came by himself.

Mom and Dad are in WV for their class reunions this weekend. That is so exciting to make it to 50 and 52 years past your graduation. I hope I live that long.

Hospital called to say my next PET scan is Oct 27 and next chemo is Oct 28. Dreading both of them but I know I can get through this. I'm a strong person.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Carol, thinking of you - keep us posted. Have a better weekend.

Daria said...

Carol ... my thoughts are with you. Chemo sucks!

Carol Pack Urban said...

Yes, it does Daria! I hope you are able to tolerate the Xeloda. Will it be by IV or pills? www.xeloda.com

I took it by pill but it did not agree with me.