Saturday, February 27, 2010

Vancouver Olympics & Knitting!

Phil and I have been glued to the tv since the Olympic winter games in Vancouver began. I love the ice dancing. Phil loves the speed skating. We both have enjoyed the skiiers but those competing on the slaloms scare me as do the bobsledders! I just can't watch. I start screaming when one crashes.

I came across an article the other day which said the knitted red mittens with the Canadian maple leaf and the Olympic logo were all the rage. In the past week I have been knitting up a storm myself. I finished a pair of socks for my granddaughter Jassmine plus a short cropped bolero sweater for her, then started on a pair of fingerless gloves for myself. I have one finished.

I have really enjoyed knitting again. I tried to knit during chemo but just didn't have the energy and concentration to stay involved. I had started a pair of socks for Jassie in September and worked on them from time to time on chemo days but never finished. The lack of energy plus intense hatred for the yarn did me in. I loved the colors of the yarn when I saw it online. It was hand spun and the spinner decided not to knit with it so I bought it from her. It had thick and thin spots to the yarn and was too difficult to knit with especially for a pair of socks. I ended up frogging. I may knit up a hat. Some pattern with big needles would probably work well.

The snow is getting to me. I'm so over winter. I keep thinking when will it end? That and the neighbor using his snowblower at 8 a.m. on a weekend just burns me, ya know?

Phil says the propane tank is almost empty. It's at 15 percent. We had it filled the first week of January so it's hard to believe we have to do it again. The last delivery was $1100 so I really hate having to buy more but we're out of firewood and need to heat the house somehow. We do have plug in, electric heaters but if the electricity goes out we're up the creek (so to speak).

Had a nice day today even after being woken up by the neighbor. Phil and I had dinner at Red Lobster. He had this enormous platter of lobster and shrimp alfredo while I had the crab cakes and rice. Then we had dessert. Yum!

I called my dad this morning to wish him a very happy 70th birthday. They had celebrated the night before with friends. Had dinner at Outback Steakhouse in Prince Frederick. Dad said his steak was really good. Getting hungry thinking about a good steak.

We have a canine first aid class in the afternoon tomorrow. Glad it will be indoors. Not sure if we will take a dog or not.

After dinner today we went to Barnes & Noble. Phil bought a video and some books. I bought two knitting magazines and a dayplanner book. Of course it's pink. :)

My regent's report for state conference is due tomorrow. I worked on it all weekend. Looking forward to mom going to conference with me this year. Should be fun!

No comments: