Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Home Today

Today I came home from the hospital, thank God!  While I liked the surgeon, his surgical team and most of the nurses and nursing assistants, there were some very miserable people working there. 

One night I woke up to hearing a nurse yelling for help!  A patient pulled out his IV tubes, tried to escape and ended up falling on the floor.  One nurse quit during her shift and so did two nursing assistants.  What's up with that?  I heard the nurses calling everyone they could to come in and help.  The hospital was fully occupied and was turning patients away. 

Yesterday, the toilet in our bathroom wasn't working and a repair man came up to look at it.  He replaced the toilet but told the nurse we couldn't flush the toilet.  I mean, what's the use of a toilet which you can't flush?  We were told to pee in our hats (which is a plastic container which fits under the toilet seat) but not to flush it or we could walk across the other side of the hospital and down to the end of the floor to use the public restroom.  Me and my roommate ended up doing that most of the day and into the night.  Finally a nurse noticed we kept walking to the other side of the hospital and asked what we were doing.  She called maintenance and another repair man was up in a short time.  He flushed the toilet and told us it was in working condition.  What's up with that?  A couple days after abdominal surgery and we're having to walk to find a bathroom?  Then the freaking fire alarm went off at 2 a.m.!  It was after 4 when we were able to fall asleep only to be woken back up at 5 a.m. by a nursing assistant coming to check our blood pressure and temperature.

I do want to say I bonded with my roommate and plan to stay in touch.  Wonderful young woman!

I'm so thankful to be home where my toilets work, no one is pulling the fire alarm, lighting a cigarette in a non smoking facility only to set the alarm off, etc.  I was in such pain this afternoon that I laid down to sleep and slept for three hours.  Hubs went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription for pain meds.  I took one pill at 7 p.m. and really feel better.  Will take another at 11 p.m. 

His mom is coming up tomorrow to stay with us this week.  Phil has no time to do anything other than feed animals once he comes home.  He doesn't have time to go grocery shopping, fix meals, wash clothes, etc.  Bless his heart!  He is such a good husband and I thank God every day for him!

Doctors gave me the pathology report from surgery.  Everything was benign.  No cancer.  Thank you, God!

Did I mention that Ralph and Jess have been coming by every day to feed Bella and Opal plus take them out to potty during the day?  That makes it so much easier on Phil not to have to clean up a mess when he gets in from work.  Jess even made lasagna and stew for reheating for dinner.  I have so much to be thankful for!!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Great to hear you are home, and have loved ones around to help you! Sorry about the awful hospital stay--holy cow! Not a great place for healing!
Take it easy, keep up with those pain meds, and follow Dr.'s orders!
Saying prayers for quick healing!

Carol Pack Urban said...

Thanks, Tina!