Friday, July 6, 2012

Sewing for Me

I wanted a sundress to wear during the summer. I can't ever find what I like in the stores. I like feminine dresses. Things with roses and ribbons, lace and flounce. I'm definitely a 70s kid.  I bought a vintage pattern (McCall's 5843).



I ironed the Provincial Garden fabric this afternoon and then cut the pieces while I was waiting for Phil to get home from work.  I started sewing after dinner and I finished my dress at 10:30.  It looks nice and I'm very happy with the fabric and the zipper went in very easy.  The directions were very easy to follow.  I didn't have any problems but I used the pattern pieces for a C cup and think I should have used D even though I do not wear a D cup bra.  The straps don't feel right and my bosom feels smashed.

I realize the model in the above photo is probably a size 6 and I usually wear a 12 but I wanted it to be a little roomy and comfortable so I made a 14.  I'll have to wear a minimizer bra to fit in the dress unless I magically lose weight overnight.  I wish I knew how to modify a pattern to fit my body.  If someone knows how to do this, please let me know.



Because I am short I didn't put the flounce on the bottom of the dress.  I went with version B and also made it to stop just below the knee.  Phil said it looked nice but he might just be humoring me because he was sleepy and wanted me to turn the light off.

I planned to wear the dress tomorrow to our C.A.R. event.  We are having a wreath laying ceremony at the grave of Peggy Shaw who was the young girl who was shot during the British & Seneca Indian raid at Hanna's Town.  Our C.A.R. society is named after her.  It's been 58 years since the original members of the Peggy Shaw Society C.A.R. dedicated a marker at her grave in Mount Pleasant.  Afterward we'll drive over to Hanna's Town and have lunch then tour the fort and the buildings and later we'll have our meeting to install new officers.

No comments: