Thursday, January 10, 2013

My mom

I'm worried about my mom.  Her name is Juanita.  Please put her and my dad, Norm, on your prayer list. 

Mom sent me a text yesterday which concerned me quite a bit.  She told me she has no feeling below her left knee. 

For the past two or three months she's been seeing an orthopedic doctor because she has pain in her legs and back.  So bad she can't sleep at night.  At first they thought it was because of the radiation she'd had for uterine cancer but they ruled that out.  I thought it was a sciatic nerve pinched. 

The orthopedic doctor thinks she needs a knee replacement because her knee has no cartilage left.  Just bone on bone.  She's fallen because she can't feel her legs. 

I'm worried and all these thoughts are running around in my head.  What if this is actually diabetes and she loses her leg like her brother did?  Then again, her grandfather also lost his legs from diabetes. 

I don't want my mom to end up in a wheelchair.  As it is now she's not able to bend over.  She can't put on socks herself or shoes unless they are slip on.  She can't get in and out of the bathtub herself so she uses a shower. 

Please pray for them both.  Mom who's living with this and my dad who takes care of her.  It's very hard on my dad, too.  Thanks!

Update January 14, 2013:  Mom saw one of her doctors today.  She has two separate issues going on.  One is the knee which is still bone on bone plus neuropathy in her feet.  The second is that her L4 and L5 vertebrae (pretty sure this is what she said) are the problem with her back.  I did already know that she has degenerative disk disease.  She will get shots in the back and the knee to see if that alleviates the pain she has.  If it does not she will most likely have surgery on both areas.  Please continue to pray!  Thanks again!

Update January 15, 2013:  Mom's orthopedic doctor is scheduling her for back surgery.  He said it would be outpatient surgery and she would actually be able to walk afterward.  Wow!  If that's true, thank God!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Prayers coming Carol! Your mom has been through so much (too much!)already!