Monday, April 8, 2013

Vegetable Gardening

We've never attempted vegetable gardening where we live now.  The ground is too hard and all clay.  We have little top soil and what we do have covers about two inches of gravel in most parts.  Last year I tried container gardening on the front porch.  Not exactly conducive to gardening.  Cherry tomatoes will grow anywhere so those don't count.

We had a beautiful veggie garden where we lived prior to building here.  Lovely black soil.  Beautiful beans, zucchinis and cucumbers.  Nice fruit trees, too.  It's such a shame we couldn't pull all that along with us.

I'm thinking seriously about raised container gardening in the front yard on top of our sand mound.  If you don't know what that is, here's the Wiki explanation:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_system.  Our sand mound is large and takes up almost all of the area in front of our house.  I found a garden kit which I think would work well and, at a great price!  Here it is:  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/garden-kit-dsv-collect/prod9360606.ip

I already have my seed packets purchased; stringless green beans, lima beans, peas and corn.  I started some seeds I had saved from lemons, cherries, plums and peaches.  I even put in pumpkin seeds, zucchinis and other squash.  I'm hoping they sprout soon.  Will post pics after they do.

No comments: