Monday, May 27, 2013

Jeans to Skirt Refashion

I've been searching Pinterest for tutorials and photos of jeans that have been refashioned into skirts.  I bought two pair of jeans at the thrift store for Jassie.  Too bad Grandma didn't notice they were skinny jeans so they didn't fit.

Last week I took the plunge and cut the legs off the jeans and also opened up the leg seams.  I worked on the Levi's jeans this morning.  I used the leg pieces to fill in the front and back of the skirt.  I made the back of the skirt a tad bit longer.  I did two rows of top stitching around the bottom of the skirt.



The second pair of jeans are by H&M.  I cut them a little too short and rather than throw them out I decided to add a large ruffle to the bottom.  This is the ruffle which was part of the thrift store curtains I made into a nightgown for her last summer.  I haven't sewn the ruffle on yet.  It's just pinned on.  I'm thinking of adding ric rac as I sew the ruffle on.


Here is my inspiration piece.  Okay, I decided to fold the upper part of the ruffle underneath the skirt to look more like the skirt I was trying to replicate and then I added the ric rac above.  I like it.  Hopefully, Jassie will like both skirts.  And, most of all, I hope they both fit her!!!



2 comments:

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

Great job! I have a pile of jeans that never got patched so I am considering turning them into shorts or skirts. Maybe it is a good thing that I neglect my mending pile... :)

Carol Pack Urban said...

I've seen coverlets made from denim fabrics. I think old jeans cut into quilt pieces would work.