Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Home Canning


A very long time ago I used to can foods at home. My Granny called it, "Putting Up Foods;" as in putting them up for later. I was never really good at it. A lot of my jar lids would unseal. The best I ever managed to can were jellies and jams. I think a lot of it had to do with using a water bath canner versus a pressure canner. I tried to have a sterile environment where the lids and caps were boiled and kept separate from everything else. The jars were boiled and then put into an oven top down to keep sterile. Still, things happened and not all good.

I've been looking to buy a pressure canner. I found one that I liked online at Walmart. It's a Presto 23-Quart Aluminum Pressure Canner and comes with Ball 12-Count Regular Mouth Pint Jars with Lids and Bands for $80!  Shipping was free!  So, I bought it.  Should be delivered to my house by next Tuesday.

While at Target last week I saw blue retro pint size canning jars celebrating Ball's 100th anniversary.  I tried to find them at Walmart but they were sold out.  Target was also sold out.  I found them online at Kmart and bought six cases (six pint jars per case).  Yesterday they were $9.89 a case.  I found a discount coupon at RetailMeNot and then was able to use my Shop Your Way Rewards (Kmart rewards program).  My entire purchase including tax and shipping ended up costing me a little over $47 which made me happy.

I joined in the @KmartCanning chat on Twitter today with @BallCanning.  It was informative.  I found that in addition to putting up fruits, veggies, jams, jellies, liquids and meats you can also bake in Ball canning jars!  I had no idea!  Someone was kind enough to send me a link to a cheesecake in a jar recipe which sounded so yummy!

Here's praying that my green beans, lima beans, peas, zucchini, pumpkins and corn continue to grow and that I'm able to put them up without any problems.

1 comment:

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

OH, I really, really want some of those blue jars! I can a lot, but freeze the foods that need pressure-canned. I keep meaning to get over my fear of the pressure canner and just buy one. I might have to look into the one you got. We really can't keep using that much freezer space on all of our green beans! I froze 23 quarts of peas this morning, too! If you are looking for a good reference, the Ball Blue Book taught me an awful lot- so handy to have around! Good luck!!!