Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Apples, apples, apples

I've been scouting for apple trees to pick.  Rather have them not sprayed.  On the way to Sam's Club I noticed two trees on the side of the road and thought if I push myself hard enough I'll stop on the way home to ask if I can pick the trees.

So, on the way back as I was coming up over the rise in the road and rounding the turn I decided I was gonna stop and ask.  I pulled into the driveway of the first house and the only person I saw took off with a chain saw like he didn't want to talk to me.  I got out of the truck and walked to the house and knocked on the door.  A teenage boy (now how do you call them that when obviously they're almost all grown up) answered and told me that side of the road didn't belong to them.  DaRn!  The property must have been parceled out because the house definitely was part of the property with barn on the other side of the road at one time.

With that stop being a bust I continued driving up the road towards home.  The next tree I saw looked to be real small apples plus no one was home.  I kept going.  I got home, unloaded my groceries and headed to the post office to mail a package then I remembered I needed wide mouth Mason jar lids.  I drove over to the hardware store and picked up jar lids and as I was coming out of the store I spied a gorgeous apple tree right there along the parking lot!  I went back inside and asked about the tree.  Turns out it belongs with the house adjacent to the store so I went over and knocked on the door to ask about picking the tree.

A beautiful older woman came to the door.  She said the only person who ever picked that tree was her daughter and that was to feed deer.  I told her I planned to make apple jelly and asked if would she like some.  She gave me a smile and said, just a little bit.  haha

I drove home and picked up my ladder, baskets and two large pots.  I picked for about half an hour and filled everything up.  Right now one small batch is cooking up on the stove now and smells so good!


No comments: