Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Patting myself on the back!

I have a 2006 F150 Lariat 4x4 pickup truck that I looooooooove!  We drove it on Sunday to Cracker Barrel to have breakfast with my parents.  After breakfast we ran errands and then came back home.  Hubs went to train dogs at the lake and then parked the truck when he got back.  Monday evening he went to start the truck and while it would hesitate and then start for a second or two it would not stay running.  After trying a bunch of times he thought the battery was dead and charged it for a while.  Then thinking it may be low on gas he added a few gallons we keep for cutting grass with the mower.  Nope, it wasn't that either.

Yesterday I called my son to come check the truck to find out what was wrong.  He thought it was the fuel pump and asked me to check prices online and he'd put the new one on.  The first thing I did was Google replacing a fuel pump on an F150 pickup.  Up popped a http://www.f150forum.com/f4/fuel-pump-driver-module-check-yours-152908/">F150 forum
 which said to check the fuel pump driver module first before replacing the fuel pump.  Well, the photos made it look easy enough.  You just drop down the spare tire and take the module off the frame above the spare tire.  Hmmmm.  I know I can do that!

So today I did just that.  Only a few minor glitches.  The lock to the spare tire would not open.  I ended up taking the pin out of the back of the lock from underneath the truck and the lock popped right out.  I'll have to buy a new one but it was broken anyway.  Then I had to look in the truck manual to figure out how to get the spare tire down.  Not as easy as it looks.  Difficult to find the slot the rod goes into to lower the tire.  After I lowered the tire I was able to get underneath the truck and take the module off using a socket wrench and a whole lot of this spray on grime remover called Blaster!  I'll tell you I didn't even break a fingernail!  LOL!  I was able to find a new module at NAPA Auto Parts for $100 including tax.  Now I need someone to take me over there tomorrow to pick it up.  I was so proud of myself I text my parents and called my husband.  haha



Update:  August 8, 2013:  I put on the new module and then hooked up the battery charger.  Four hours later we started up the truck!  Yay!  It runs!!!

No comments: